Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Labels

A Facebook "friend" of mine posted this as her status: "If I have curves, I'm fat. If I wear makeup, I'm fake. If I like to get dressed up, I'm a hoochie. If I say what I think, I'm a b----. If I cry sometimes, I'm a drama queen. If I have guy friends, I'm a slut. If I stand up for myself, I'm mouthy. Seems like you can't do anything now a days without being labeled.. So what, go ahead and label me, see if i give a ----! Repost this if your proud of who you are!" I asked her if she really believed this and she said yes. I do all of these things, and I never think that others have that kind of opinion of me. So, that begs the question: do others label us, or do we label ourselves? If this woman truly believes that others think of her this way, does that put out a signal that causes others to react in that way? As women, we tend to be down on ourselves. That kind of attitude gives other people permission to do the same. I challenge you to lift someone up today. Give out words of encouragement or a nice compliment. You never know how far it can go.

1 comment:

  1. You may be right Jessica.. I never thought about it that way.. Maybe I feel this way about myself sometimes, so I tend to think that other feel the same way.. I was a little upset the first time I read this, but after rereading it, i understand it better.. Although it was just a stupid repost from someone else, it still makes us wonder what inclines women to think that everyone around them are trying to always criticize us.. Must just be that some women are very insecure about who they are as a person.. Thank you for posting this..

    ReplyDelete